Advantages of under-cabinet kitchen lighting
1) Energy Efficient – Can save energy by eliminating the need to light an entire room.
2) Different light bulbs – Energy-efficient light bulbs are most often used for under-cabinet lighting fixtures. Common under-cabinet light bulbs include fluorescent, halogen, LED, and xenon.
3) Eliminate Shadows – Under cabinet lighting reduces the shadows created by wall cabinets and overhead lighting. Proper spacing of the under-cabinet lighting eliminates the dark shadows under your countertops. To eliminate shadows, install one lamp for every 20-30 inches of counter space.
4) Add unique style and distinction to your kitchen – Many kitchen countertops are made of granite or marble. A kitchen under cabinet light can make your stone countertops shine.
5) Easy Installation – Many do-it-yourselfers can install under cabinet lighting in just a few hours.
Types of under-cabinet lighting: Strip Lights, Puck Lights, Linear Lights
Strip Lights: These are rectangular fixtures and they work well with fluorescent lights. They are good for providing diffused light to the kitchen.
Puck Lights: These are round fixtures that get their name from their round, hockey puck-like size and appearance. These lights are best for highlighting countertops and backsplashes. Puck lights work with LED, halogen and xenon lights. Puck lights can be mounted in different positions to either aim down or towards the backsplash. As an alternative, puck lights can usually be inserted into cabinets.
Linear lamps: Linear lamps are often used with fluorescent tubes. They are the most popular types of fluorescent under-cabinet lighting in the kitchen because they are thin, which allows them to be hidden behind the cabinetry.
Leave a Reply